- Municipal Clerk
- Municipal Clerk Duties
Municipal Clerk Duties
Duties of Municipal Clerk Office (N.J.S.A. 40A:9-135):
XIV. Core Duties [N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133]
A. Secretary of the Municipal Corporation
- Custodian of the municipal seal.
- Maintain custody of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds, contracts and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Attest to the signatures of municipal officers and officials.
- Maintain receipt of service of legal documents.
B. Secretary to the Governing Body
- Prepare agenda for annual Reorganization Meeting of the Governing Body.
- Maintain and keep new members of Governing Body aware of Rules of Order for conducting meetings.
- Prepare meeting agenda at the discretion of the Governing Body; be present at all meetings of the Governing Body.
- Keep an official record of the proceedings of every meeting; retain the original copies of all minutes, ordinances and resolutions.
- Process, record, file and, when necessary, advertise ordinances, resolutions and the municipal budget.
- Administer and record oaths of office: October 31, 2004
- a. Before assuming office, every person elected or appointed shall take and subscribe to an oath of office.
- b. The oaths shall be filed with the Municipal Clerk and preserved as a public record for a period of 5 years after termination of office.
- Maintain custody of all official records not specifically handled by other departments. Handles all public Records (O.P.R.A.)
- Act as liaison to the public and correspondent on behalf of the Governing Body.