- Engineering, Planning & Construction
- Stormwater Management for Residents and Businesses
Stormwater Management for Residents and Business Owners
As a residential property owner, it is important to know these local requirements to protect our waters:
- All pet owners and keepers are required to immediately and properly dispose of their pet’s solid waste deposited on any property, public or private.
- Do not feed wildlife, such as ducks and geese, in public areas.
- Properly maintain yard waste: Keep leaves and grass out of storm drains. The owner or occupant of any property shall not sweep, rake, blow or otherwise place yard waste, unless the yard waste is containerized, in the street. Please follow the Township policies on yard waste found under our Recycle page at www.rockawaytownship.org/189/Recycle
- Know the allowable Impervious Lot Coverage for your Zoning District. This can be found in the Rockaway Township Land Use and Development Ordinance at www.rockawaytownship.org/254/Land-Use-Ordinances
- Green Infrastructure can be small, relatively low-cost stormwater management solutions for your property and include items such as rain gardens, grass swales, pervious pavement, and rain barrels. Please feel free to contact Rockaway Township Engineering to discuss these infrastructure options.
As a commercial property or business owner, it is important to know these local requirements to protect our waters:
- Dumpsters and other refuse containers that are outdoors or exposed to stormwater must be covered at all times and shall prevent the spilling, dumping, leaking or other discharge of liquids, semi-liquids or solids from the containers.
- Existing storm drain inlets on private property must be retrofitted when in direct contact with any repaving, repairing, resurfacing, or direct contact with any reconstruction or alteration of facilities. These retrofit standards can be found under Attachment C - Design Standards for Storm Drain Inlets
- The spilling, dumping or disposal of materials other than stormwater to the municipal storm sewer system is prohibited.